The fourth Flipbook Competition results are here!
This year we received 42 flipbooks from 11 countries. The quality of the entries was very high so the jury decided to give three honorary prizes to those entries that came very close to the top three finalists.
And the winners are:
1. Terhi Ekebom: Sweet Home (Finland) / Prize: Publishing contract with Napa Books (December 2011)
The winning flipbook charmed the jury with it’s simple and imaginative storyline and a skilled, smooth movement. Sweet home is both traditional and fresh with a positive touch.
2. Joost Stokhof: 60 seconds of fame (Netherlands) / Publishing contract with Napa Books (Spring 2012)
The runner up impressed us with it’s beautiful and simplistic line drawings and a new approach to the flipbook as a medium. 60 seconds of fame is well-composed and conceptually fascinating.
3. Tia Kim: Untitled (Australia) / Book prize
The second runner up was appreciated by the jury for it’s refined drawing and beautiful details. It’s storyline is simple but effective.
4. Reiko Asai: Woolly-go-round (Japan) / Book prize
5. Amina Bouajila: Suis-je un saumon d’ē levage (France) / Book prize
6. Janna Añonuevo Langholz: Arrivals (United States) / Book prize
The jury members this year were: Marjo Granlund (agent for Napa Illustrations), Verna Kuutti (publicist for Helsinki Comics Center), Katri Paakkanen (exhibition coordinator at Napa Gallery), Ulla-Maija Pitkänen (artist), Jenni Rope (artist, publisher of Napa Books) and Hanna Valle (graphic designer).
All of the flipbooks that took part in the competition are exhibited at Napa Gallery until 21 December. The winning flipbook is available for purchase at Napa Gallery and Napa Books webshop in the beginning of December.
Congratulations to all winners and a big thank you to everyone who took part!